Mom Warns Everyone About The Danger Of Inhaling Pool Water


Being a mom is probably something that not all women can do. We sure can say that it is a God-given talent that only a few people have, and they use it excellently. But no matter how good you are at what you do, there are still many instances wherein we feel like we are falling short. For some reason, mom Lacey Grace felt that very way when one unexpected occurrence happened to her daughter Elianna.

Elianna and one of her friends were playing a pool noodle. Of course, we all know that kids may be too playful with things sometimes. As they play with the pool noodle, an unexpected outflow of pool water suddenly went down her throat. She immediately threw up, and everything that happened after that seemed normal. While every kid may have drunk a little of pool waters, Elianna’s case was not at all similar. Lacey then boldly talked about what happened on a Facebook post, saying:
“Elianna was playing in the pool with a ‘pool noodle’ on Saturday, and as many many children do every day, she was blowing in one end and blowing water out the other. By 100% freak accident, Elianna put her mouth to blow out at the same time someone blew in the other end, causing the water to shoot directly down her throat. She threw up immediately but didn’t really have any other notable things happen.
30 minutes after the ‘accident’ she was totally fine – normal, playing, eating, etc. The next day, even, she was fine.
Come Monday she developed a fever. Kids get fevers, this is normal. I didn’t think much. Tuesday she slept most of the day but still overall looked fine. Sent her to school Wednesday and got a call in the afternoon that her fever was back.
I kept replaying that pool scene in my head and remembered reading a story last year about a Dad in Texas whose son passed away because he went untreated after inhaling a bunch of pool water. I wasn’t going to let that be Elianna…”

“We went from school to the urgent care, hoping the doctor would say ‘her lungs sound great, it’s just viral, etc….’ We were there about 10 minutes when the doctor said to get her to the nearest ER as soon as possible. Her heart rate was crazy high, her oxygen was low, and her skin was turning purple which suggested chemical infection.
Went to the nearest ER where they did a chest X-ray and showed inflammation and infection caused from pool chemicals.
Two hours later they transferred her by ambulance to an even larger hospital so they could monitor her around the clock and have pediatric specialists keep an eye on her.
She began treatment in the ambulance on the way over.

LONG STORY SHORT, Elianna has aspiration pneumonia and is now on oxygen and relying on it to breathe. They’ve tried to remove the tubes and give her a chance to breathe on her own but her levels drop quickly. She’s had her second dose of antibiotic but we haven’t seen much relief yet. Her fevers have continued. Her heart rate has lowered so that is the only good news so far. At least two doctors now have told us ‘thank God you got her here when you did.’
All the major things going wrong are things you would NEVER notice by looking at her.
If your child inhales a bunch of water, and something seems off AT ALL, I encourage you to immediately get help. I wonder if I would have taken her Monday, would she be better off?? And I wonder if I waited longer what would have happened. It’s so scary.
For now, we just pray that the antibiotic takes quickly and her lungs can find a way to get rid of the pool chemicals. They will keep us until she’s fever free for 24 hours, her chest X-ray comes back clear, and she can sleep fully through the night without her oxygen levels dropping so drastically.
If she requires more than 3 liters of oxygen we will be transferred to Hopkins All Children’s Hospital. We don’t know how long the road will be but I thank my lucky stars that I read that article of the little boy.
I will find that article and write that Dad a letter, I promise you. I would have never taken her to the urgent care without that and God only knows how this would have ended.”

Fortunately, Lacey came to know that this scenario was possible to happen because of a story of Frankie Delgado, the four-year-old from Texas who died from inhaling pool water. Now, Lacey wants to share this story, so that Elianna’s may be a learning to everyone, especially to parents like her.

What's Your Reaction?

Cute
0
Cute
Lol
0
Lol
Love
0
Love

Mom Warns Everyone About The Danger Of Inhaling Pool Water

log in

Captcha!

reset password

Back to
log in